Monday, November 20, 2017

The Ultimate Christmas List for Military Surplus Fans — Humvees, Grenade Launchers & More!

 
Hummers cost the government about $70,000 new. Used trucks in decent shape with an off-road only restriction sell at auction these days for about a tenth of that on up.

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. What a timeless truism. Back in my day the Internet was called books. I spent many a rabid hour poring over the JC Penney Christmas catalog in the days leading up to the Big Event.  I could only imagine the sparkly swag that Santa might shove down the chimney to celebrate the birth of the Savior of the World. The enthusiasm with which my brothers and I ravished that tome bordered upon unseemly.

Ours was a family of modest means, so the Christmas haul was never quite insane. However, it was still the hands-down highlight of the year. It was in the runup to this most commercialized of holiday seasons that the most fun was to be had. While some of my wish list bordered upon the absurd, it still made for some simply rabid anticipation.

I have half a century under my belt nowadays, and being Santa brings me a great deal more satisfaction that being the recipient of his largess. Despite my advanced age, I can still derive a great deal of satisfaction out of fantasizing over the ideal loadout for Santa’s sleigh. While much of this will seem impractical, that is the nature of the typical gun nerd’s wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment